December 2015 Commencement for Class of 2016
December 2015 graduates of Washburn University School of Law will participate in the Washburn University Commencement ceremony.
- Date: Friday, December 11, 2015.
- Location: Washburn University, Petro Allied Health Center, Lee Arena, located at 20th and Mulvane Avenue. Enter from Washburn Avenue at 20th Street.
- Directions: Available on the Washburn University web site. See also directions to the law school.
- Parking: Free parking on the east side of Petro is limited due to construction. It is suggested that those attending commencement park on the west side of campus and take the free shuttle to Petro. Learn more and see the parking map (2.4 MB PDF).
- Arrive: 5:45 p.m.
- Secure belongings: Room 125 will be secured for personal items stored during the ceremony.
- Line-up: Hallway across from room 105; Name Cards will be handed out at this time.
- Group photo: 6:00 p.m.
- Procession: Professor Myrl Duncan is the Law School Marshal and will guide graduates through the ceremony.
- Ceremony begins: 6:30 p.m. and is expected to last less than two hours.
- Regalia Return: Room 224.
Champagne Reception Follows Ceremony
- Reception begins: Immediately following commencement ceremony.
- Invitation: All family and guests, including children, are invited.
- Location: Petro Allied Health Center, Room 210 (McPherson Room, 2nd floor, north end). The reception will conclude at 10:00 p.m.
Course Audit Information
If you have any questions about whether or not you have completed all requirements for graduation in December 2015, please contact Donna Haverkamp, Student Records Administrator, in the Deans' Office, Room 203 (email@example.com or (785) 670-1661).
Class of 2016 Graduate Composite Photos
- A sign-up sheet will be located on a table in the entry of the Law Library beginning Monday, October 5, 2015. Photos are taken by appointment only. Timeliness is of the essence.
- Wichers Photography will be on campus 8:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Tuesday thru Thursday, November 3-5, 2015 to take pictures for the Class of 2016 Composite. You will see your images that day so be prepared to make decisions.
Composite Photos FAQ
- Who is included in the composite photo?
Answer: Graduates of Fall 2015, Spring 2016 and Summer 2016 make up the Class of 2016.
- Do I have to pay for this photo session?
Answer: Yes, there is a session fee of $30.00 plus tax ($32.75) due at time of appointment. Each graduate will receive an 11" x 14" print of the composite for this fee. You may pay with cash, check or debit/credit card. Photo packages price list is available.
- Do I need purchase regalia for the photo session?
Answer: No, Wichers Photography provides regalia for the photo session.
- What do I wear under the regalia?
Answer: A small amount of your clothing will show under the robe. Look at the previous year's class composite to determine what is appropriate.
- What if I am unable to be photographed on these days?
Answer: Call Wichers Photography at (785) 271-5355 to schedule your appointment to come into their studio.
Graduation announcements may be ordered from CB Announcements, cbgrad.com or call (800) 433-0296.
Class rings can be ordered through the Jostens' website.
The Ichabod Shop will begin taking orders for regalia on Monday, September 7, 2015.
Law degree graduates planning to walk in the December 11, 2015 ceremony must place a special order for their regalia. Law School regalia, consisting of a robe, hood, and tam (hat), may be rented through the Washburn University Bookstore.
- Cost: $74.99 (price is subject to change)
- Orders must be placed by Friday, October 30, 2015, to avoid late/ship fees.
Questions about regalia can be directed to Rhonda Wedel at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (785) 670-1931.
To order in person please visit the WU Bookstore, Memorial Union first floor southeast corner, during their regular hours:
- Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Friday, 8 a.m-5 p.m.
- Saturday, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
To order online (preferred method):
- Go to the online Washburn University Bookstore (a new window will open).
- On the 'Regalia - Rental Law & Faculty' item description page select "Student - Law Rental Set" from the "Item Option" dropdown list.
- Make sure Quantity is "1", then click "Add to Cart" and respond to the height and shirt size prompts.
- In the upper right corner, click "Shopping Cart", then "Continue Checkout."
- If this is your first time shopping the WU online Bookstore, you will need to create an account and register.
Regalia should be available to pick up starting November 26th if ordered by the October 30th deadline. You will receive an e-mail from the Ichabod Shop (Washburn bookstore) when your rental commencement regalia (tam, gown, hood, tassel) has arrived and can be picked up at the cash register in the Ichabod Shop in the Memorial Union. Please be prepared to show your ID (Washburn or drivers license). If someone will be picking up regalia for you, please e-mail email@example.com so this can be noted on the pick-up form. Orders made after the October 30th deadline will incur additional shipping charges.
Regalia should be returned after the ceremony to Petro 224. If you need to keep regalia over the weekend please contact Rhonda Wedel prior to the ceremony.
Notes about your rental regalia:
- To relax wrinkles in your regalia, please hang it close to the shower. Ironing is not recommended.
- Tams are one-size. The tams arrive separately from the gown, hood and tassel package. Please make sure you get all pieces when you pick up your regalia.
Graduation Name Cards
December 2015 graduates will be emailed a downloadable version of the Name Card the first week of December. Please fill out, save, and email your completed Name Card to firstname.lastname@example.org (please contact Gwyn Nelson, Deans Suite, Room 203, if you are unable to download the form).
Professional pictures will be taken of all graduates during the ceremony.
Commencement is a celebration to honor and recognize the achievements of all graduates. With respect to all, it is expected that graduates and their families and friends will remain for the entire ceremony. Commencement is expected to last approximately two hours. Please make your plans accordingly.
No tickets are required. The event is open to the public.
University staff will be available to assist guests with special needs; however, it is important that those guests requiring assistance and/or special seating notify the Washburn University Student Services Office at (785) 670-1629, or email@example.com, at least 2 weeks in advance.
Due to construction on the east side of campus, it is suggested that attendees park on the west side of campus and use the free shuttle. Learn more (2.4 MB PDF).
We have made arrangements with a professional photographer take pictures of all graduates during the ceremony. Photos will be taken of the hooding, in front of the banner and of the handshake with Dean Romig.
Group Photo at Commencement
Washburn University School of Law Alumni Services will have a professional photographer take a group photo of the December graduates promptly at 6:00 p.m. Please meet in the hallway across from Petro room 105 by 5:45 p.m. in order to line up for the photo.
- Immediately following commencement ceremony.
- All family and guests, including children, are invited.
- Location: Petro Allied Health Center, Room 210 (McPherson Room, 2nd floor, north end).
- The reception will conclude at 10:00 p.m.
Parking east of Petro is limited due to construction. Adequate parking is available on the west side of campus; shuttles will be provided.
Professor Jeff Jackson explains
how to put on your tam and carry your hood
Topeka hotel and motel information is available at the Visit Topeka Inc. website (convention / visitors bureau).
Commencement for May and summer 2016 graduates will be held Saturday, May 14, 2016, beginning at 6:30 p.m. in Lee Arena of the Petro Allied Health Center on the Washburn Campus. Weather permitting, graduates will march in procession from the Law School at 6:05 p.m. to Lee Arena. The commencement ceremony is expected to conclude by 8:00 p.m.
A Champagne Reception, hosted by Washburn University School of Law, will be held in Washburn rooms A & B in the Memorial Union immediately following commencement.