By the Numbers
Located in the capital city of Kansas, Washburn University School of Law is conveniently situated in the greater Kansas City metropolitan area. Washburn Law's impact extends far beyond the state's borders.
Legal Writing Ranking
Legal Analysis, Research, and Writing Program ranked #13 by U.S. News & World Report, 2017 edition.
Government Law Ranking
Washburn Law named #2 school in the nation for government law by preLaw magazine, 2016.
Among the top 12 schools in the nation for Trial Advocacy, with an "A" rating, prelaw magazine, 2016.
Centers for Excellence
- Business and Transactional Law Center
- Center for Excellence in Advocacy
- Center for Law and Government
- Children and Family Law Center
- International and Comparative Law Center
- Oil and Gas Law Center
- Business and Transactional Law
- Estate Planning
- Family Law
- International and Comparative Law
- Law and Government
- Natural Resources Law
- Oil and Gas Law
- Tax Law
Tuition Waiver States
Residents of the following states are eligible for in-state tuition:
Active duty and veteran military are also eligible for in-state tuition.
Clinic Practice Areas
Clinic students help real clients with:
- Children and Family Law
- Civil Litigation
- Criminal Appellate Advocacy
- Criminal Defense
- Immigration Law
- Small Business & Nonprofit Transactional Law
- Tribal Court Practice
- Veterans Legal Assistance Clinic
Other skills-based learning includes:
Class of 2015-2016 students participated in 46 clinic opportunities and 52 externships.
- J.D./Masters of Business Administration (M.B.A.)
- J.D./Master of Accountancy (M.Acc)
- J.D./Master of Social Work (M.S.W.)
Students participate through various organizations in volunteer, cultural, and recreational opportunities.
- Barrister's Ball donated $10,600 to Breakthrough House of Topeka.
- Children and Family Law Center students worked on a Habitat for Humanity build.
- Washburn Law Democrats donated the proceeds from their annual Blue Tie Soiree to Life House Child Advocacy Center in Topeka.
Washburn University designated 2017 Military Friendly® school by Victory Media.
16-place jump — largest increase of any law school in Kansas and in the region, fourth largest in the nation — in U.S. News & World Report rankings, 2017 edition.
91% pass rate for 2016 graduates who took the July Uniform Bar Exam (UBE).
Robert "Joe" Pilgrim recognized as one of the top 5 law students in the nation by The National Jurist, 2016.
Other recognition includes:
- 19th on list of Great Law Libraries by National Jurist.
- Named an Outstanding Law School in The Princeton Review.
National Jurist recognition for Best Schools for Practical Training in 2014 (top 36 in nation and best in region) and 2015.
Top 20 for government jobs in National Jurist.
Top 20 for jobs as prosecutors and public defenders in National Jurist, 2012.
View "By the Numbers" as a PDF (767 KB).
- 2 U.S. Court of Appeals Judges
- 20 Kansas Supreme Court Justices
- 16 Kansas Court of Appeals Judges
- Served in Congress in all but four terms since 1919, including Senator Robert Dole, '52
- More than 7,300 current alumni
- Attorneys in 104 of 105 Kansas counties, in 49 states, and 13 foreign countries and U.S. territories
- Summer Study Abroad Program in Barbados
Opportunity to understand legal systems more fully through comparative study of the Caribbean system.
- Study Abroad Program at Osaka University Law Schools (Japan).
- Maastricht Independent Study Abroad Program
Enroll in one semester or one year of international law and comparative law courses.
- Study Abroad Programs in Germany, Granada (Spain), London, and The Hague through partner schools.
- Georgia: Promoting Rule of Law in Georgia – students have collaborated with students from Free University, Tbilisi, Georgia, on amicus briefs submitted to the Constitutional Court of Georgia, and have helped in many other ways to develop legal education in that country.
Topeka has been recognized as one of the top 10 "Best Affordable Places to Live" in 2015 by livability.com.