By the Numbers
Located in the capital city of Kansas, Washburn University School of Law is conveniently situated in the greater Kansas City metropolitan area.
Centers for Excellence
- Business and Transactional Law Center
- Center for Excellence in Advocacy
- Center for Law and Government
- Children and Family Law Center
- International and Comparative Law Center
- Oil and Gas Law Center
- Business and Transactional Law
- Estate Planning
- Family Law
- International and Comparative Law
- Law and Government
- Natural Resources Law
- Oil and Gas Law
- Tax Law
Tuition Waiver States
Residents of the following states are eligible for in-state tuition:
Clinic Practice Areas
Clinic students help real clients with:
- Children and Family Law
- Civil Litigation
- Criminal Appellate Advocacy
- Criminal Defense
- Immigration Law
- Small Business & Nonprofit Transactional Law
- Tribal Court Practice
- Veterans Legal Assistance Clinic
Other skills-based learning includes:
Class of 2014-2015 students participated in 57 clinic opportunities and 69 externships.
- J.D./Masters of Business Administration (M.B.A.)
- J.D./Master of Accountancy (M.Acc)
- J.D./Master of Social Work (M.S.W.)
Students participate through various organizations in volunteer, cultural, and recreational opportunities.
Ranked #6 by preLaw and the National Jurist on 2014 list of Largest Employment Gains by School
Other recognition includes:
- 19th on list of Great Law Libraries by National Jurist.
- Named an Outstanding Law School in The Princeton Review.
National Jurist recognition for Best Schools for Practical Training in 2014 and 2015.
Top 20 for government jobs in National Jurist.
Top 20 for jobs as prosecutors and public defenders in National Jurist.
View "By the Numbers" as a PDF (676 KB).
- 2 U.S. Court of Appeals Judges
- 20 Kansas Supreme Court Justices
- Served in Congress in all but four terms since 1919
- 9,115 alumni
- Attorneys in 104 of 105 Kansas counties, in 50 states, and 13 foreign countries
- Summer Study Abroad Program in Barbados
Opportunity to understand legal systems more fully through comparative study of the Caribbean system.
- Maastricht Independent Study Abroad Program
Enroll in one semester or one year of international law and comparative law courses.
- Georgia - National Center for Commercial Law
Students have collaborated with students from Free University, Tbilisi, Georgia, on various constitutional law cases and conducted commercial law research to help change legal education and commercial law in the country of Georgia
Topeka has been recognized as one of the top 10 "Best Affordable Places to Live" in 2015 by livability.com.