Computer Examination Frequently Asked Questions
Who is ExamSoft?
ExamSoft Worldwide, Inc. is a software developer specializing in computerized assessment and assessment administration programs.
What is SofTest from ExamSoft?
SofTest is a high stakes assessment program developed and licensed by ExamSoft that enables exam takers to securely take examinations downloaded to their own laptop computers by blocking access to files, programs, and the Internet during an exam. ExamSoft's solution is an Internet-based exam delivery system. Using SofTest, you will download your exam(s) prior to exam day and upload your answer(s) after the exam via the Internet. You WILL NOT require Internet connectivity during your exam(s). You WILL require Internet connectivity to download your exam(s) and upload your answer(s).
Will SofTest work on my computer?
SofTest can be used on virtually any modern computer (i.e., purchased within the last 3-4 years). Specific system requirements are noted below.
SofTest cannot be used on virtual operating systems such as Microsoft’s Virtual Machine, Parallels, VMware, VMware Fusion, or any other virtual environments.
- CPU = 2GHz Intel® Core™/Celeron™ or equivalent x86 processor
- RAM = highest recommended for the operating system or 2GB
- Hard Drive = highest recommended for the operating system or 1 GB of free space
- Operating System = English editions of Windows XP (32-bit only), Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows 7, or Windows 8
- Software = Internet connection for SofTest Installation, Exam Download and Upload
- Screen Resolution must be 1024x768 or higher
- Administrator level account permissions
- Tablet-PC's are not supported
- CPU = Intel processor
- RAM = 2 GB
- Hard Drive = 1 GB of free disk space
- Operating System = MAC OS X 10.6, 10.7, or 10.8 (Snow Leopard, Lion, and Mountain Lion)
- Server version of Mac OS X is not supported
- SofTest may not be used in virtual operating systems
- Software = Internet connection for SofTest installations, Exam Download and Upload
- Administrator level account permissions
How reliable is SofTest?
SofTest has a considerable number of safety features to ensure that answers typed into SofTest cannot be lost. They include:
- An AutoSave feature that automatically saves your exam every sixty seconds.
- Multiple encrypted backup copies of the exam answer file are saved.
If I used SofTest last year, do I have to perform all steps again?
Yes! You will need to return to www.examsoft.com/washburnlaw to download and register the latest version of SofTest.
Can I practice using SofTest before the exam?
Yes! It is highly encouraged that you take the Mock Exam. The purpose of the Mock Exam is not only to familiarize yourself with the software but to verify the software is working as it should. Keep in mind that a "Practice Exam" is NOT the same as a Mock Exam. The Mock Exam must be downloaded and therefore simulates a true exam. The Mock Exam can be saved and uploaded.
After registering SofTest, launch the program by double-clicking the SofTest icon on your Windows Desktop or single-click the SofTest icon in your Applications folder or Dock for Mac. Click "DOWNLOAD EXAM FILES," enter your ID and password, choose Mock Exam from the dropdown menu and click download. After the file is downloaded click the "TAKE EXAM" button, select the Mock Exam from the dropdown menu, and click start to begin the exam.
What Should I do Prior to Exam Day?
- Register SofTest on the computer you intend to use on exam day by the deadline.
- Ensure: (1) that your computer meets the specifications listed above, (2) that there is plenty of free hard drive space, (3) that your computer is virus free, and (4) that your computer is free of disk errors by running SCANDISK (click Start Button, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Scandisk or Disk Cleanup).
- Once you have installed and registered SofTest, familiarize yourself with the software by taking the Mock exam.
- Download your exams. You will need to use the Student ID number and password submitted during the registration process.
- Locate your A/C - battery power indicator light on your laptop to determine which light indicates you are running on A/C power (i.e. power from a wall outlet).
- Ensure that your battery is charged prior to the exam in the event there is a temporary power outage.
- If you encounter issues in your use of SofTest, visit support.examsoft.com
What Must I do on Exam Day?
- Bring your power cord, battery (in the event of power loss), and an extension cord. If you normally use an external keyboard and mouse or if you need earplugs, you may bring those as well.
- Arrive to the exam room at least 15 minutes early, plug your computer into a power outlet, turn on the computer, and begin the launching process.
- Immediately before SofTest launches the exam, you will be provided a warning screen with RED STOP SIGNS indicating that you should not begin the exam until instructed to do so. Heed this warning.
- Exams will not be delayed or suspended due to computer problems.
- Students who do not take the time to become familiar with their laptop computer or with word processing functions, should consider handwriting their exams. No administrative relief will be granted for incorrect use of the software.
- Once you register your copy of SofTest, the school will be charged the license fee.
- Do not uninstall SofTest until you receive your exam scores at the end of the academic year.
- DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RESOLVE COMPUTER MALFUNCTIONS ON YOUR OWN. ASK FOR THE ASSISTANCE OF A PROCTOR IMMEDIATELY. Once the exam has started, no assistance will be available. You must start using bluebooks. No make-up time will be given for the malfunction. Do not repeat the questions already answered; the answers will be recoverable after the exam is over.
- ANY ATTEMPT TO DISABLE OR TAMPER WITH SOFTEST'S SECURITY FEATURES WILL BE CONSIDERED A VIOLATION OF THE STUDENT HONOR CODE. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH YOUR EQUIPMENT AND THE SOFTEST SOFTWARE AND INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED BY EXAMSOFT ON ITS WEBSITE PRIOR TO THE START OF YOUR EXAM. PLEASE ALLOW YOURSELF SUFFICIENT TIME TO BECOME FAMILIAR WITH YOUR LAPTOP AND THE APPLICATION. COMMENCEMENT OF THE EXAM WILL NOT BE DELAYED DUE TO A HARDWARE PROBLEM WITH YOUR LAPTOP.