Assignments for First Day/Week of Classes
Summer 2016 Beginning Monday, May 23
If your course does not appear on this page, please check back-- first day assignments are still being submitted.
On this page:
» Constitutional Law II - Jackson, Jeffrey
» Criminal Procedure - Hodgkinson
» Family Law - Elrod
» Landlord Tenant Law - Boyack
» Local Government Law - Heim/Moler
» Professional Responsibility - Leisinger
» Specialized Legal Research: Statutory and Regulatory Law (ON) - Miller/Ginzburg
» Taking and Defending Depositions - Ossmann
Constitutional Law II - Jackson, Jeffrey for Wednesday, 7/6/2016
Please read pp. 505-570 in Introduction and Background: Introduction to Substantive Due Process.
Criminal Procedure - Hodgkinson for Wednesday, 7/6/2016
Read first week and other assignments (12 KB PDF).
Family Law - Elrod for Friday, 5/27/2016
Karause, Elrod and Oldham, Family Law (7th ed. 2013). Ch 1, American Family Law: Definitions and Themes, p. 1-20.
Pew Research Center Social Trends Staff; The Decline of Marriage and Rise of New Families, Nov. 18, 2010.
Federalization and Nationalization, 20-42; 73-89. Yang v. Tsui, 416 F. 3d 199 (3d Cir. 205); Wallace v. Wallace, 736 F. 3d 764 (8th Cir. 2013); U.S. v. Windsor, 133 S. Ct. 2675 (2013). Problem handed out.
Landlord Tenant Law - Boyack for Monday, 5/16/2016
First - join the TWEN page for the course. There is no text for the course - all readings are posted on TWEN.
Second - Read the following (posted on TWEN): Overview and Review of Landlord-Tenant Law (authored by Professor Boyack)
- The Leasehold Estate
- Types of Tenancies
- Dependent Landlord and Tenant Covenants
- Delivery of Possession and Quiet Enjoyment
- Condition of Premises
- Termination and Remedies
Third - Read the Kansas Residential Landlord Tenant Act (posted on TWEN) and complete the Worksheet based on the Act (also posted on TWEN)
Local Government Law - Heim/Moler for Tuesday, 7/5/2016
Please Read: Basic Organization and Structure of Local Units, Boundary Issues Text pp. 7-16, 54-71, 75-91, 124-131, 156-166, 206-209, 222-230.
K.S.A. 15-155 to 15-126, and K.S.A. 12-519-12-542.
Stueckmann v City of Basehor, 301 Kan, 718 (2015); In Re Application For Incorporation of a City, 241 Kan. 396 (1987).
Professional Responsibility - Leisinger for Monday, 5/23/2016
- Lisa G. Lerman & Philip G. Schrag, Ethical Problems in the Practice of Law: Concise Edition for Two Credit Couses(New York: Wolters Kluwer & Business 2013). ISGN 978-1-4548-3070-2
- Read the introduction and Chapter 1 - pages 1 - 61.
- Be prepared to discuss and complete any problems covered in the chapter.
- Lisa G. Lerman, Philip G. Schrag & Anjum Gupta, Ethical Problems in the Practice of Law: Model Rules, State Variations, and Practice Questions(New York: Wolters Kluwer 205-2016 ed.) ISBN 978-1-4548-5191-2.
- Read the ABA Model Rules and Comments found on pages 1 - 126. This can be a general simple read through as we will be discussing the rules in depth throughout the course, but read at this time for a general overview and idea of content and organization and structure. It is most important to read the actual rules closer and skim the comments at this point.
Specialized Legal Research: Statutory and Regulatory Law (ON) - Miller/Ginzburg for Monday, 5/23/2016
Read course preparation and assignment (155 KB PDF).
Taking and Defending Depositions - Ossmann for Saturday, 7/9/2016
Before you arrive at the first class on July 9, 2016, please read The Effective Deposition, Chapters 2, 5, and 14. It is also extremely important that you thoroughly read the BMI v. Minicom materials to the point that you are familiar with the relevant time line and cast of characters. You should also be familiar with the materials posted on the course TWEN page.
Preparation: Before you arrive at the first class session you should have begun a case analysis for the case of BMI v. Minicom. You have been assigned clients in an earlier email in this commercial matter. (See client assignments on last page.) You should also start on a time line of events using the exhibits as a basis for entries on this tool.
YR-1 in the materials refers to 2015 and YR-2 refers to 2014.
Feel free to email Professor Ossmann if you have questions - email@example.com. Please put DEPOSITION CLASS in the subject line.
Please forward assignment additions/updates to Donna McMurry in the Dean's Office.