Assignments for First Day/Week of Classes
Summer 2016 Beginning Monday, May 23
If your course does not appear on this page, please check back-- first day assignments are still being submitted.
On this page:
» Criminal Procedure - Hodgkinson
» Family Law - Elrod
» Landlord Tenant Law - Boyack
» Professional Responsibility - Leisinger
» Specialized Legal Research: Statutory and Regulatory Law (ON) - Miller/Ginzburg
Criminal Procedure - Hodgkinson for Wednesday, 7/6/2016
Read first week and other assignments (12 KB PDF).
Family Law - Elrod for Friday, 5/27/2016
Karause, Elrod and Oldham, Family Law (7th ed. 2013). Ch 1, American Family Law: Definitions and Themes, p. 1-20.
Pew Research Center Social Trends Staff; The Decline of Marriage and Rise of New Families, Nov. 18, 2010.
Federalization and Nationalization, 20-42; 73-89. Yang v. Tsui, 416 F. 3d 199 (3d Cir. 205); Wallace v. Wallace, 736 F. 3d 764 (8th Cir. 2013); U.S. v. Windsor, 133 S. Ct. 2675 (2013). Problem handed out.
Landlord Tenant Law - Boyack for Monday, 5/16/2016
First - join the TWEN page for the course. There is no text for the course - all readings are posted on TWEN.
Second - Read the following (posted on TWEN): Overview and Review of Landlord-Tenant Law (authored by Professor Boyack)
- The Leasehold Estate
- Types of Tenancies
- Dependent Landlord and Tenant Covenants
- Delivery of Possession and Quiet Enjoyment
- Condition of Premises
- Termination and Remedies
Third - Read the Kansas Residential Landlord Tenant Act (posted on TWEN) and complete the Worksheet based on the Act (also posted on TWEN)
Professional Responsibility - Leisinger for Monday, 5/23/2016
- Lisa G. Lerman & Philip G. Schrag, Ethical Problems in the Practice of Law: Concise Edition for Two Credit Couses(New York: Wolters Kluwer & Business 2013). ISGN 978-1-4548-3070-2
- Read the introduction and Chapter 1 - pages 1 - 61.
- Be prepared to discuss and complete any problems covered in the chapter.
- Lisa G. Lerman, Philip G. Schrag & Anjum Gupta, Ethical Problems in the Practice of Law: Model Rules, State Variations, and Practice Questions(New York: Wolters Kluwer 205-2016 ed.) ISBN 978-1-4548-5191-2.
- Read the ABA Model Rules and Comments found on pages 1 - 126. This can be a general simple read through as we will be discussing the rules in depth throughout the course, but read at this time for a general overview and idea of content and organization and structure. It is most important to read the actual rules closer and skim the comments at this point.
Specialized Legal Research: Statutory and Regulatory Law (ON) - Miller/Ginzburg for Monday, 5/23/2016
Read course preparation and assignment (155 KB PDF).
Please forward assignment additions/updates to Donna McMurry in the Dean's Office.