Student Health Services and Health Insurance Coverage
Morgan Hall, Room 170
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
8:00 a.m-1:00 p.m.
2:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m.
Wednesday 8:00 a.m-1:00 p.m.
2:00 p.m.-4:30 p.m.
No appointment is necessary for most care.
Prescriptions/Refills: (785) 670-1471 (allow three business days for refills)
All Washburn University students are eligible to visit the Student Health Services office, free of charge, for treatment of minor illness/injury. Treatment is not available to spouses or children of students.
Services provided by the Student Health Services office include:
- care for minor illness/injury
- health education
- preventative medicine
- diagnostic consultation of physical and emotional problems.
Referrals to other health care facilities are made when necessary and would be made at the student's expense.
If the University physician is not available and a student does not have a family physician in Topeka, treatment may be obtained at the following emergency care centers at the student's expense:
- Med Assist
- Minor Med
- St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center
- Stormont-Vail Regional Medical Center
- Other options and addresses/phone numbers (181 KB PDF)
Student Health Insurance Coverage
Underwritten by the Columbian Life Insurance Company, a Blanket Accident and Sickness Insurance plan is available to Washburn students. Coverage is designed to provide benefits for medical expenses arising from an accident or illness, including those which occur off campus and during interim vacations. Purchase of the health insurance plan is optional and is not required for visits to the campus Student Health Services office, though strongly recommended for other health insurance needs.
Coverage is offered through:
Student Assurance Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 8126
Wichita, KS 67208-0126
Phone: (316) 686-3373 or (800) 245-0486
For more information on student health insurance coverage, see the Student Assurance Services web site, specifically:
- Frequently asked questions
- 2012-2013 Enrollment form (21 KB PDF; requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)
- 2012-2013 Certificate of coverage and information brochure (51 KB PDF; requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)
- Links to preferred providers
- Enroll online
Allowance for Cost of Computer
Students may request the cost of a computer be added to the cost of attendance. The addition of this cost may occur only once during the student's course of study/academic career at Washburn University. The request must be supported by written documentation of cost, such as a copy of a contract with a vendor or bill of sale showing payment for the computer. The adjustment will be documented in the student's file. Contact the Financial Aid Office at 800-524-8447 for more information.
Computer Labs at Washburn Law
Most students own a laptop. One lab with 10 computers is available at Washburn Law. Learn more about the computer lab.
A wide-range of child care options are available in Topeka. To get you started with your search, you may wish to review the following resources. Note: Inclusion of a resource in this listing does not constitute recommendation by Washburn Law or its employees.
- ERC Resource & Referral helps parents recognize and choose good quality child care; they maintain current listings of regulated child care facilities in the Topeka area.
- The Kansas Department of Health and Environment Bureau of Child Care and Health Facilities contracts with local health departments to provide regulatory services and inspections. Under the Kansas Open Records Act (KORA), inspection reports/notice of survey findings are available upon submission of a written request. The charge is $7.00 per administrative hour to search and prepare the report, plus 25 cents per page. Reports may include any narrative written by the inspector, indication of any complaints, and enforcement actions. Note: identifying information is blacked out, per KORA, so requests should probably be submitted individually rather than batched in order to determine the child care provider discussed in the report. For futher information, call the Bureau at 785-296-1270.
- University Child Development (UCD) is located right across the street from Washburn University. UCD is the only known daycare in Topeka that provides part-time care.