Information for Potential Litigation Clients

The Washburn Law Clinic generally handles cases pending in the geographical confines of Shawnee County. Our resources do not allow us to accept cases in surrounding counties due to the expense in travel. Representation of clients is conducted by specially licensed law students acting under the close supervision of supervising clinic faculty attorneys.

Although our case load may vary from time to time, we concentrate our practice in the areas of:

  • Civil Litigation (consumer issues, elder issues, contract disputes, and landlord/tenant matters),
  • Criminal Defense (misdemeanors, low level felonies, and DUI's) [NOTE: Criminal Defense Clinic will not be enrolling students or accepting new clients after spring 2019.],
  • Family Law (adoptions, guardianships, paternity matters, emancipations, and divorces with minor children born to the marriage),
  • Immigration (represent undocumented abused spouses, victims of crime, abandoned children in foster care, and individuals who came to the United States before age 16 and are now under 31), and
  • Tribal Court Practice (defense of misdemeanors, low level felonies, and DUI's).

The Law Clinic can represent only those individuals who are unable to pay for legal services. No applicants will be approved if they are able to retain counsel either by payment of an attorney's fee or by a contingent fee arrangement.

If you are interested in being represented by the Law Clinic you should call (785) 670-1191 and ask that an intake interview be done. After the intake interview a professor will determine if an in-person interview is appropriate and you will then be contacted by an intern. Our ability to accept cases varies at different times throughout the year depending on our caseload and resources.

The Law Clinic is unable to give legal advice or answer questions unless you are a current client. If you need legal advice or need a legal question answered, you may want to contact:

  • Lawyer Advice Line at (800) 928-3111 (via Kansas Legal Services (KLS))
    • See also the KLS Free Legal Forms service. Examples of forms available include:
      • File for a Divorce in a marriage with or without minor children
      • File a reply to a divorce
      • Prepare a Decree of Divorce
      • Calculate child support and complete a Kansas Child Support Worksheet
      • Seek a Waiver of Court Filing fees
      • Change an adult's legal name
      • Expunge a Criminal conviction in Kansas
      • Tenant Issues and Rights for Kansas Renters
  • Kansas Bar Association / Topeka Bar Association Call-a-Lawyer
    • Second Thursday of each month from 6:00-8:00 p.m. – call (800) 928-3111.
    • Goal is to give free basic advice so the person calling can decide if they have a case worth pursuing, if they need a lawyer, and what alternatives are available if they cannot afford full representation.
    • No charge for initial call and referral.
    • Charges may apply depending upon complexity of issue and referral of case to a lawyer.

Also, the Washburn Law Library is open to the public and you are welcome to use its resources.

Other helpful resources include:

Washburn Law Clinic

The Law Clinic does not handle cases involving child custody/visitation or child support. Please contact Kansas Legal Services or Kansas Lawyer Referral Service (see below).